I've just finished setting up my drupal-powered drupal themes affiliate program and I figured I should share how I did it, since I think my set-up is better than what's done in the original documentation, for some people. This set-up guide also highlights some problems in the module.
1. Download modules
As the affiliate modules' scope is limited to the actual affiliate center, we need some extra modules for signing up new members and having existing users apply for the program:
- Affiliate v2 - I used version 2.5
- Apply for Role
- Role change notify
- Me aliases
- Ubercart and its dependencies
- Profile (core module)
You have to download and enable the above modules.
2. Create the affiliate info/sign-up page
You need to create a webpage to advertise the affiliate program and point people to the sign-up pages. As an example, take a look at my Premium Drupal theme affiliate program called SooperFriends. For now just create a simple page stating the terms of your program and the payouts your affiliates will receive. Creating the sign-up buttons is covered in the next steps.
3. Adding affiliate related fields to the user profile
Another Framework Theme?
Yes, there's already loads of them around, but Tundra is very different from all of them and it offers unique features and a different approach to code organization. The theme itself resembles a theme framework as it has a built-in feature management and css-writing system.
Part of the Tundra development process was also creating a new jQuery dropdown-menu plugin from scratch. The included jQuery SooperFish plugin enriches Drupal with multi-column animiated menus that are fully configurable in the theme settings form.
Why does it matter?
Tundra is the first theme that offers advanced jQuery features with the ease of a point-and-click interface. All configuration is pulled into the theme settings form to form an interactive theme configurator. Some of the features are:
- Sooper Easing: This exposes advanced animation easing to all other features
- Sooper LivePreview: Makes changes to theme settings form for most features visible immediately, to ease the configuration process. See configurator demo.
- SooperFlex Grid System: Full grid control in both flexible and fixed width layouts without breaking in internet explorer 6. Skinr module is used to expose float (left/right) control and width control. Supports rational proportions and irrational proportions based on golden ratio (phi).
- Sooper DropdownKit: For usage and configuration of the jQuery SooperFish plugin.
- Sooper SlideshowKit: A jQuery cycle based solutiuon for creating configurable slideshows.
- : A jQuery nivo based solutiuon for creating configurable image or photo slideshows.
- Sooper LayoutKit: A theme-settings based system to configure fixed or fluid theme width, sidebar widths and mi-/max width.
- Sooper FontKit: A cufon based solution for using custom fonts and special effects (gradients/shadows) in your theme. 25+ fonts included in feature.
- Sooper BackgroundImageKit: A solution for settings a background image in the theme settings. Easy to extend with your own images.
- Sooper Linkicons: Automatically adds mime type and email icons to links. Includes 2 free icons sets.
Tundra is the theme that powers all of the premium drupal themes on SooperThemes.com. We made all the premium features GPL, and Tundra is our way of giving back to the community: it's a vessel with all of the code that was developed over the years.
Here is some additional info, it's a screenshot of the product page on sooperthemes.com
Schedule for june
June 7th (mon): Present and discuss project June 9th (wed): Discuss Theme purpose (type of website) June 14th (mon): Poll for theme purpose June 16th (wed): Discuss design style July 8th (thu): Poll for design style
- Aug 17th (tue): Discuss modules and features
- Aug 21st (sat): Questionnaire about modules and features
- Aug 25th (wed): Summary of poll and questionnaire results